Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The World is Our Fortune Cookie


I’m not sure where to begin. It has been too long. Here we go. So…the Mister and I went in for new fingerprints in November and had been patiently waiting to hear back from our beloved government in regards to the fingerprint status for what seemed an eternity (doesn’t everything seem like an eternity when you are waiting for something big?)

On February 7th after deciding to email them myself, this was the reply:

Good Afternoon Mama (funny that they called me mama),

I am sorry to inform that your fourth request (excuse me but there were THREE cards in there so this is my 6th request) was also rejected. You will have to send in a new application form, $18 fee and fingerprint cards. You may send in up to 5 sets of prints and we will take the best one. Gary is aware of the situation, and asks that you send in your new request with a tracking number, such as through Fed Ex or UPS. When you mail in your new request and get your tracking number, please let us know and we will try to expedite your process. It can still take up to 12 weeks to process, but we will try. Thank you!

Kim

This meant that set SIX had been rejected. There was no way I was going to do this again. If my prints were going to work, they would have worked using one of the three methods I had tried.

I sent a message to my agency and my home study agency telling them that the prints were rejected AGAIN. Come to find out, my contact at the home study office was no longer there, and we had to work with someone else. Ugh. Well, luckily this person called around and managed to find a way to get UCIS to take the home study without prints. There are regions in Russia that do not require prints, and we will now be working with those regions.

Next steps…we had to update the home study. As of February 22nd our home study is officially complete!! We had to get more documents for the dossier as much of what we had completed has changed since March. Many of these documents require passport numbers and there must be a year and a half left before expiring. We have to update our passports as they expire in February 2012. Once we get the passport numbers we can update the documents. We should have the passports in 2 weeks or so as we put a rush on them. We had to mail in our I-600A. This is called the Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition. We just received notification that it was received and we should expect our invitation for fingerprinting from UCIS soon, but it might take 6 weeks or so (or so I have heard). It’s the government so it could take forever. Before you ask, yes, I cringe at the thought of being fingerprinted again. BUT…the good news is that this process is biometric so it should be faster AND if it doesn’t work I will try again, and if that doesn’t work…well…I have been told they only try TWICE and then accept letters from local agencies. I’m not sure how that works and frankly I hope that some good karma is on my side and that it works like a charm the first time!! Once the fingerprints work we will receive the I-171H. This is called Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advanced Processing of Orphan Petition. All I can say about that is whoopee! At that point our dossier should be complete and we’ll have it notarized by the best sister in the world and then apostilled. We will cut some enormous checks and do a few other things and then wait for some referrals (otherwise known as sweet little babies that need loving homes). Until then, we wait for some good written news :)

So that’s my update! Looks like spring has sprung! I hope everything continues to run as smoothly as it has for the last month or so. Please think good thoughts for us.

~Mama


P.S.- Thank you for your kind thoughts and words! Please check in and leave a comment. It makes me feel like I'm not talking to myself.


6 comments:

  1. You're not talking to yourself. I'm sending positive and speedy vibes your way. Don't remember how I got here but I've been following along. Can't wait til things fall into place for you and Mr. N!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the love Janice! It feels good to have support and a team that is sending good vibes! Wishing you all the best in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mama,
    Ug... finger prints. While I didn't have the challenges you are I still hated them. For me, it was a relief to do the digital ones (my second round) because they knew immediately if they were acceptable or not. The wonders of computers I guess. I hope you don't need to keep chasing finger prints and are fast on your way to Russia. What I think is "neatest" about this post is, did you know that 3 months to the day that I got my referral I got a fortune cookie that read, "3 months from today you will get news you wait for" or something to that effect? Could happen... I trust in the cookie! It's back in my blog somewhere - I'll have to check it out. Keep posting... therapy and good vibes :)
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacey! Wow! I didn't know about your fortune cookie. That is amazing! Maybe my post is foreshadowing for good things to come. I feel in my heart that they are! Until then I will eat lots of Chinese food :) Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I come here from time to time to check in on you and your journey ... may this Spring bring you everything that you want and much much more. I must say that you are very brave and patience and I really admire what you are doing :) All the very best!

    Lily
    (Two Stray Cats)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lily...if you saw how fast I jump out of the car and run to the mailbox everyday (and whine if I haven't heard back) you wouldn't describe me as "patient"
    :)

    ReplyDelete