Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fall Food Comforts

Anyone who knows me knows I love the fall food. I look forward to the day when the pumpkin baked goods start showing up on the shelf like most kids wait for Santa (don't get me wrong, I am first in line for Santa too). This morning I made apple cinnamon cobbler for breakfast. It's kinda like pancakes, right? Anyway, that put me in the spirit of cooking so I made a Pumpkin and Potato Soup and some Sweet Crescent Rolls. These sweet rolls are quick and easy so little ones can easily help!! If you try that let me know how it goes. You might also add some chopped pecans or walnuts to the rolls if you are so inclined. I apologize in advance for the lack of measurements but I pretty much always cook to taste. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Potato Soup

  • · Cubed red russet potatoes with skins on
  • Diced whole onion
  • · One small can of pumpkin
  • · Whipping cream
  • · Coriander
  • · Cayenne
  • · Cumin
  • · Nutmeg
  • · Salt
  • · Pepper
  • · Seasoned croutons (make em' buy em' whatever)

Put cubed potatoes and onions in a pot just barely covering the top of potatoes with water. Boil. Once boiling, turn to simmer. Cook until fork tender. Smash a little with a fork. Add canned pumpkin. Stir. Add some whipping cream to thicken. Add seasoning to taste (coriander, cayenne, cumin, nutmeg, salt and pepper). Cook on low for a ½ hour. Taste again and season if needed. I like it a little spicy. Put in bowl and put croutons on top.

Fall Fun Sweet Crescent Rolls

  • · One can of crescent rolls
  • · Sugar
  • · Cinnamon
  • · Pumpkin pie spice
  • · Butter
  • Chopped nuts (optional)

Topping

  • · Powdered sugar
  • · Milk

Unroll crescent rolls on a cookie sheet

Spread butter on each triangle of dough

Mix sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice together (and chopped nuts if you like!)

Put sugar mixture on top of butter (save a little for the top)

Roll triangles large flat side to the point (like the crescent roll instructions)

Put left over sugar mixture on top

Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes (refer to crescent roll package)

Cool

Mix powdered sugar and milk to make a glaze

Spoon over cooled rolls.


~mama

No comments:

Post a Comment